Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Do we still need a plain text README?

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Do we still need a plain text README?
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 18:36:18 +1100

On 6 February 2010 00:43, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear mingw-cross-env supporters,
>
> I'm currently wondering whether we could abandon the doc/README,
> and I'd like to get some opinions on that.
>
> The main documentation is and will always be doc/index.html,
> from which the doc/README is generated automatically during
> "make dist" via a text browser dump.
>
> On the one hand, there is the long Unix tradition of providing
> plain text READMEs for everything. People might be diappointed
> if they grab a source tarball that doesn't have a README.
>
> On the other hand, every plain text fan can browse the
> doc/index.html with the favourite text browser, and will
> get exactly the same information. Also, every source file
> points to doc/index.html, so you can't really miss it.
>

> So what do you think?

Trying to read html in a text editor is painful, however, if people
run into problems, they will most likely need a web browser of some
sort anyway, so not generating a plain text copy of index.html won't
really affect them.

Thinking about a first time user though, the least surprising thing
would be to have a plain text README in / rather than /doc.