metacosm-dev

[Metacosm-dev] Free multimedia data

From: Benoît Sibaud
Subject: [Metacosm-dev] Free multimedia data
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:02:13 +0100

Hi,

in the near (I hope) future, Metacosm'll need multimedia media [1] (texts,
pictures, video, sound, etc) on the client side, as previously discussed,
at least for multimedia clients.

So I began to collect free (including public domain) data resources.
This list'll be placed on a webpage:

http://www.gnuart.org/
http://artlibre.org
http://artlibre.org/copyleft.php/links.html
http://www.linuxgraphic.org/
http://www.opencontent.org/
http://www.creativecommons.org/
http://www.e440.org
http://abu.cnam.fr/BIB/auteurs/
http://artlibre.org/user/
http://promo.net/pg/
http://www.gnutenberg.net/
http://textz.com
http://gnuart.net
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/
http://art.neokraft.net/
http://www.archive.org/
http://ibiblio.org
http://www.promo.net/pg/index.html
http://directory.google.com/Top/Reference/Libraries/Digital/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Literature/Electronic_Text_Archives/
NASA pictures (public domain)
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/image_sites.html
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (public domain)
http://www.photolib.noaa.gov
US Fish & Wildlife Service (many pictures in public domain)
http://pictures.fws.gov/
http://www.freestockphotos.com/ (restricted « free » use, but interesting
links)
and data from other free software

The French Orsay museum (artworks from 1840 to 1918) allows photos without
flash. So we make an expedition last sunday with Elkine and Horus, and make
about two hundreds photos with two digital cameras. We also collected info
about authors (name, birth and death years) and works (title, date).
Data'll be put online as soon as we type info and process pictures
(resizing, light, etc) (about 217 Mo of raw pictures now). Note we only
covered two of the three levels, due to lack of batteries. We miss Degas,
Manet, Renoir, Van Gogh, etc this time.

The current strictest legislation for copyright duration is 70 years after
the author's death. So the large majority of these artworks are part of the
public domain. For the other part, I currently looking for more info about
duration evolution during the XX century (like Berne convention, 50 years,
which would be enough).

We'll put a 'Metacosm development team' copyright on our pictures and
they'll probably be covered by "Licence Art Libre"/Free Art License.
( http://artlibre.org/licence.php/lalgb.html ).

--
Benoît