lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] SSL Common Name issue & Form Submissions in Lynx

From: Matt Caswell
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] SSL Common Name issue & Form Submissions in Lynx
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 09:11:32 +0000

On 05/12/16 01:18, Stefan Caunter wrote:
> irrelevant
>
> your question is about certificates, not ssl implementation
>
> lynx worked fine with eay ssl, before openssl, but the actual certificate
> checks were not enforced until much later

You seem to be confusing me with the OP. My point was in specific
reference to the OP's observation that using the latest version of
OpenSSL from the recommended download page did not seem to be providing
the expected DLLs. I will leave others to answer the broader question on
certificates.

Downloading the latest (1.1.0) release of OpenSSL will not work with
lynx (perhaps the lynx website should be updated with some guidance on
this). The are many changes between OpenSSL 1.1.0 and the previous
release 1.0.2, and they are not fully source compatible. One change is
that the DLL names are different, so any application built against
OpenSSL 1.0.2 will be unable to find the right DLLs in an OpenSSL 1.1.0
installation.

At the moment lynx 2.8.8 fails to compile against the OpenSSL 1.1.0
headers (I just tried it). The required changes are, usually, relatively
easy to implement.

Matt