lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.12 -- CRASH on OSX 10.4.1

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.12 -- CRASH on OSX 10.4.1
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 address@hidden wrote:

In a recent note, Stef Caunter said:

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:46:27 -0400 (EDT)

2.8.6dev.12 runs okay on OSX 10.3.9 - I compiled with XTools 1.5 gcc.

I'm getting screen misbehavior on Solaris:

   address@hidden:377$ uname -a
   SunOS sanitas 5.8 Generic_108528-22 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
   address@hidden:378$ ./lynx -version
   Lynx Version 2.8.6dev.12 (02 Jun 2005)
   Built on solaris2.8 Jun  2 2005 23:28:15

Go to:

   http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/bkserv/

do repeated searches for "r5", and watch the screen misbehave.

I see the problem - had not encountered this. What's happening is that when investigating DK's comments that some of the options-form was not wrapped, I realized that the LYhighlight() function was "supposed to" handle this case. So I modified it and the lower-level function that writes strings to allow it to write a wrapped string. That seemed fine, but it uncovered an off-by-one error in the middle of GridText.c (hard to debug). That's lesser error that I thought I could unravel in dev.13.

Reading the calls on LYwaddnstr(), I didn't _see_ any except for LYhighlight() that were likely to write long strings.

However, look at the top of the screen - it appears that the same code is used to write the title string (rather than truncating things). Changing lynx to work with a wrapped title is probably not the way to go. The wrapped line shifts everything down by one line for the unhighlighted display, but LYhighlight() - which uses a different calculation - is putting the highlighting where it "should" be.

That's relatively simple to fix though, since the title comes from one
point.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net