[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Lynx-dev] Google via lynx error fixed (for me, at least)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Google via lynx error fixed (for me, at least)
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 06:22:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Aaron Bloomfield wrote:

> Hi, all,
>     I was running into the this problem (a "malformed or illegal
> request" whenever I tried to access Google) via lynx, and I manged to
> solve it by unseting my DISPLAY variable.  I tried this in both bash and
> tcsh, and it seemed to fix the problem.  Does this work for other people?
>     I would have responded to the thread, but I just subscribed to send
> this out, and thus can't hit reply to the previous e-mails.... :-)
>     I figured this out because I was doing a lynx dump of Google from an
> xterm, and the same from an ssh shell on another xterm (the latter which
> didn't have the DISPLAY variable set)....

That's because a lot of the mailcap entries are only added when $DISPLAY
is set.  So the "Accept:" string becomes much smaller.

On the other hand, I see that I didn't notice the problem because my
versions of lynx don't necessarily read the new (larger) mime.types files
that are contributing to the problem.  The default lynx.cfg has

# Unix:
# ====

while Debian's package has

# Unix:
# ====

There is no standard location for the mime.types file; it's been a while
since I looked at that part of the configure script.  I'm working to
modify it to pick up the current de facto locations and add some runtime
options to allow the user to ignore most of it.

Thomas E. Dickey

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]