lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev the Javascript Monster strikes again

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev the Javascript Monster strikes again
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:42:30 -0500

        The device is the Maxgate3200 and their web site is

http://www.maxgate.net/home/index.html

        I do not want to get in to vendor bashing as I don't
think they intentionally did anything dishonest.  When I looked
over the email correspondence, I had originally asked them about
the user interface of a previously discontinued product.  This
one is quite similar, but is using different firmware.  They
probably don't get questions like this most of the time and you
can successfully operate about half of the engine with lynx.  I
know that for sure because I did it.  You really don't know there
is a problem until you try to set the password and anything else
on the Basic Setup page and discover that your only closing
option is the Undo Button with Apply nowhere to be found.

        In a perfect world, somebody from there would say, "Oh,
my God!  You are so right.  We'll fix it."

        Well, a whole day has gone by and I have not heard
a thing which is usually the case in the real world.  I need the
functionality that this device does, so I will just connect a
Netscape-equipped computer to the port and tell someone what to
enter.  All this over exactly one line of text and two user input
buttons.

        I certainly hope I can urge Ugate/Maxgate to consider
just enough modification of their user interface to fix that
problem.

        I hope to get a behavior modification out of this whole
mess and not just start a fight with somebody.  This is basically
a good product with a flaw rather than a rip-off.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group