lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: new lang to be included in the po directory

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: new lang to be included in the po directory
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:47:56 -0500

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 02:24:35PM +0530, SreePriya. G wrote:
> If a po file for a new language (say 'la' , an ISO 639 code ) needs to be
> introduced,what are the steps to be taken.I am aware of the following steps.
>
> 1.Use the lynx.pot file and create a po file :la.po
>
> 2.After this is one wants to test it ,what does one do,
> if 'la' is a language that does not have a 'po' file at all so far?
>
> 3.For Linux, setting the LANG variable does the work of changing the
> language, but then it does not work if one sets LANG='la' for example
> wherein 'la' is a lang for which no translation had existed so far.This
> happens inspite of putting the appropriate po file in the appropriate 'po'
> subdirectory and compiling the package
>
> Something more has to be done of which i am not sure.
> something has to be added in the path:
> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES
>
> Does anyone have any information regarding this.
>
> -Sreepriya

The emacs program has modes to create and maintain source catalog
files.  Use po-mode to edit a copy of lynx.pot called la.po.  You
should see a menu item for po mode with entries such as "Moving
Around," "Modifying Entries," etc.  Move from one untranslated message
string to the next, adding the translation and ending with ^C-^C.

Once you have a working .po file, you need to have Lynx see it. The
po subdirectory has a series of makefiles (don't ask). There is a
makefile.inn, a makefile.in, and a makefile. The latter two include the
po files that exist, while the first does not. Re-run the configure
script so that the new la.po file will be included in the po/makefile.

For NetBSD (the OS I use), the makefile will create .gmo files during
the Lynx make phase. These are GNU message catalog files that are
machine-dependent.  If you don't see your new language has a .gmo file,
while others are there, something is missing in the makefile, or wasn't
rebuilt cleanly. Try removing all .gmo files if this happens.

Once the .gmo files are built, they need to be installed.  This is
somewhat machine-specific, but mine get installed like this:

installing cs.gmo as /usr/local/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/lynx.mo
installing de.gmo as /usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/lynx.mo
[...]

You may need to have permission to create subdirectories beneath your
locale root, so check the other directory paths there. At that point,
your OS should recognize that the message catalogs exist, and begin to
display translated strings.

When I was testing new language catalogs, I translated the Lynx banner
and displayed it like this:

10:41:40/jim> lynx -version
Lynx Version 2.8.4dev.6 (17 Jul 2000)
Built on netbsd1.4.2 Jul 19 2000 11:57:08
Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other contributors.
Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more

10:42:51/jim> export LANG=de
10:42:56/jim> lynx -version
Lynx Version 2.8.4dev.6 (17 Jul 2000)
Built on netbsd1.4.2 Juhielt durch die Universitdt von Kansas, von CERN und von
anderen Mitwirkenden an.
Verteilt unter die GNU-Vffentlichke.org / und die On-line Hilfe zu mehr
Information.

This is a quick way to check if the catalogs are working, and does not
need any interactive entries.

Don't forget to read "ABOUT-NLS" carefully, and review the translation
project site, and perhaps contact li.org.  Karl Eichwalder and
Francois Pinard have helped lynx development in the past.

Good Luck!

------
<http : // i . am / spoonfork>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Whatever you do I don't want you to feel sorry for me in any way.