lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:14:20 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Fiber McGee said:

> Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:03:34 -0600
>
> >I accepted the default and this is when lynx did something unexpected.
> >Rather than renaming the temporary file, it copied it to a file with
> >the new name, thereby:
> >
> >   1) sending the 680Mb twice over the network, from my home machine to
> >      the linux machine and back.  This took over 15 minutes during
> >      which lynx appeared to have hung.

Lynx avoids the rename in order to allow saving multiple copies of the
downloaded file.

An alternative is to use "lynx -source" and redirect stdout to the target
path.

Or to escape to shell and rename the work file behind Lynx's back.

Or, to log in and run lynx on the file server.  Of course, if you
have totalitarian sysadmins (as we do) they won't let you do that.
They'd rather transmit an extra 1360 Mb over a busy net than spend
CPU cycles (perhaps actually fewer) on the NFS server.

> >To add insult to injury, after the copy operation, lynx failed to
> >remove the temporary file, L12120-9789TMP.bin.

It's supposed to remove it.  Maybe it was hung.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL