lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Emacs + UTF-8 + Lynx

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Emacs + UTF-8 + Lynx
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 22:20:42 -0400

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 01:05:09PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On 25 May 2000, Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
> > There is a problem in using Lynx inside Emacs for the Unicode package.
> > So I've installed the UCS package modified with oc-unicode in order to
> > use the rich Unicode font by Markus Kuhn.  This works well in Emacs,
> I have no experience with running lynx in emacs, or with the packages
> you mention (still using Emacs 19...).  But supposedly I understand
> the UTF-8 stuff in lynx (because I wrote it...).
> > and also I am able to call Lynx in a UTF-8 environment via
> > (let ((coding-system-for-write 'utf-8) (coding-system-for-read 'utf-8))
> >         (browse-url-lynx-emacs
> >          "file:///export/html/home.html")
> What is browse-url-lynx-emacs?  With which command line options does
> it call lynx?

(emacs-19.34:)
-rw-r--r--  1 jim  spath  23375 Jul 21  1996 browse-url.el
(doesn't mention Lynx)

(emacs-20.3:)
-r--r--r--  1 jim  wheel  40184 Jun 19  1998 browse-url.el

comes with standard Emacs distributions.  Not sure how up-to-date
it is with Lynx.  I am running Emacs 20.3, which is a bit dated.

Here's some of the Lisp code in the above file dealing with Lynx:

           (function-item :tag "Lynx in an xterm window"
                          :value browse-url-lynx-xterm)
           (function-item :tag "Lynx in an Emacs window"
                          :value browse-url-lynx-emacs)

(defcustom browse-url-xterm-program "xterm"
  "The name of the terminal emulator used by `browse-url-lynx-xterm'.
This might, for instance, be a separate colour version of xterm."
  :type 'string
  :group 'browse-url)

(defcustom browse-url-lynx-emacs-args (and (not window-system)
                                           '("-show_cursor"))
  "A list of strings defining options for Lynx in an Emacs buffer.