lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: external mail programs

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: external mail programs
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:28:46 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Al Gilman wrote:
>Henry Nelson opined:
>
>>In short I'm simply saying we've got a product that is superior exactly
>>the way it is.  Adding code to make mailto: configurable sorta like
>>telnet:// or ftp:// does not make Lynx better, IMHO.  Thus, I ask why?
>
>Then we have an honest difference of opinion.  The other way would be
>cleaner, IMHO, not that it makes a big difference.

I haven't been following this whole discussion, but I sure think it should
be configurable.  I'm not sure if it's even possible to go to this simple
level of abstraction, but even something as simple as having a $MAILER
variable that is invoked, similar to how basically every program in the
world uses the $EDITOR variable so we can use what the nonexistant entity
wanted us to, vi, instead of whatever icky internal editor..

ok the last part is a joke, but seriously -- having a simple configuration
to automatically invoke an external mail program instead of the default would
be very useful and I sure would use it.