lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynxcgi problem

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynxcgi problem
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:58:06 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> For the first time, I tried using Lynx itself in a lynxcgi script, but
> it didn't work.  What silly thing am I doing wrong?

It looks right, unless there's something strange with your shell...
or even your lynx (any private patches regarding TERM?)

> If I use csh, I
> get a blank page.  If I use sh, I get a message saying I have to set
> my TERM environment variable;

(Let's stick with a sh if possible...)
Do you have an alternative sh?  i.e. bash, (pd)ksh, ash?  (not tcsh)

Try to figure out where the message comes from:

- from some init script the shell interprets automatically on startup?
- from "echo"? (Hey, let's cover everything :) )
- from lynx?

> if I export TERM, I get a blank page as
> with csh.  The script is simply:

Did you chmod +x it?  Does it run as ./<name-of-script-here> ?
What happens when you insert a line
   unset TERM
after the first line?

If the child *lynx* wants to see TERM - although it should *not* need
that for running with -source -
Try to set it in the script.  Bourne sh syntax: "export TERM; TERM=whatever".
Or tell the parent lynx in its lynx.cfg to export *it's* value of TERM.
Option LYNXCGI_ENVIRONMENT:TERM should do that.

> #! /bin/sh           # (or csh)

(The comment should not be there in the real file, of course)

> echo "Content-type: text/html"
> echo ""
> /usr/local/bin/lynx -cfg=/dev/null -source
> file://localhost/home/about_lynx.html
>
> It works fine if I use "cat /home/about_lynx.html."  Thanks for any help.

It works for me as given, after removing the comment from the first line
and adjusting paths.  (I tried various shells, all ok.)

  Klaus