lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev slashdot page

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev slashdot page
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:57:27 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>Since sombody mentioned Slashdot...
>
>Some readers might find this page interesting:
><http://slashdot.org/articles/99/11/27/033225.shtml>.
>Not for the topic itself, but for the number of times Lynx is mentioned.
>Also for some (very brief and subjective) comparison between Lynx and
>the recent "competition".

I replied to the comparison to the competition..  Hey, I'm usually a very
loyal person, but when a text mode browser comes up that lets me use
_more_ sites than I can currently use with Lynx (such as my Suretrade acct),
I'll jump ship..

But for now it looks to me that neither links nor w3m is up to the task..
one of them, I forget which, doesn't even do cookies.  Neither do SSL.
One does frames the same goofy (no offense) way Lynx does.  In some cases,
both look MUCH better than Lynx.   Oh yeah, neither of the others even has
bookmark file support, as far as my admittedly limited looking around could
find.  (There's no documentation for links, so it's hard to say definitively).

So I use Lynx most of the time, and play with the others.  It's nice to
have some competition though.