lynx-dev

lynx-dev About mailto: addresses

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: lynx-dev About mailto: addresses
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:06:55 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

  We have seen several times people asking for opening a better mailer
than lynx upon pressing return on a "mailto:"; link (not using EXTERNAL).
The following is not a patch but you are welcome to use it in your own
version to open your mailer. In my case it is pine. The format for pine is

pine -url mailto:address@hidden

and that is what is coded down below, the obvious modifications can be
done for other mailers.

All you have to do is replace the function reply_by_mail by the following
new function (for unix users):

PUBLIC void reply_by_mail ARGS4(
        char *,         mail_address,
        char *,         filename,
        CONST char *,   title,
        CONST char *,   refid)
{
    char *command = "";
    CTRACE(tfp, "reply_by_mail(\"%s\", \"%s\", \"%s\", \"%s\")\n",
        mail_address?mail_address:"<nil>",
        filename?filename:"<nil>",
        title?title:"<nil>",
        refid?refid:"<nil>");

    if (!(mail_address && *mail_address)) {
        HTAlert(NO_ADDRESS_IN_MAILTO_URL);
        return;
    }
    sprintf(command,"/path/to/pine -url mailto:%s",mail_address);
    stop_curses();
    LYSystem(command);
    start_curses();
    FREE(command);