lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #inclu

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #includes)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:10:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Maybe I was not clear enough. I was talking about
> >
> > #define BOXVERT '|'
> > #define BOXHORI '-'
>
> I don't understand any of this discussion, but I would really like to know
> why you are not able to get a box.

Sorry, I don't think I can explain it better than I did.

> In Lynx, I get a nice box, with the box/line-drawing characters, AFAIK.
> When I try to cut-n-paste it, it looks like the following:
>
>    lqqqqqqqqqk
>    x         x
>    x         x
>    x         x
>    x         x
>    mqqqqqqqqqj
>
> >   ìññññññññññë
> >   ø          ø
> >   ø          ø
> >   ø          ø
> >   ø          ø
> >   íññññññññññê

The characters you get are the same I get but with the 8th bit stripped off.

> > With Lynx compiled with Slang, I always get the box-drawing characters
> > when I use the VT100 character sets and that ugly thing above when I use
> > ISO8859-1.
>
> It looks pretty ugly to me, too.  The horizontal and corners are strange,
> i.e., not in common use, kanji.  The vertical shows as "\370" as I edit in
> vi,

Yes, the vertical line is "\370", which is "latin small letter o with
oblique bar" in ISO 8859-1. Vi is not correctly displaying 8-bit characters.

> but as a ". " in raw mail.

Then your mailreader is not correctly displaying 8-bit characters,
displaying them as dots.

> >        | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |
>                 ^^^^       ^^^^
> But then these two also show up as weird kanji in mail or in vi as "\351",
> although I can imagine what character you might think/hope I would be
> viewing.

The "e" in "Montreal" and the first "e" in "Quebec" is "\351", which means
"small letter e with acute accent" in ISO 8859-1.

Anyway, your mailreader and editor can handle 8-bit characters because your
quotes of the 8-bit characters in my messages come out correctly.

Just as a curiosity, go to http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/8859-1.txt and see
if the characters you see correspond to their descriptions.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |