lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #inclu

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #includes)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:06:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> >                                        if ncurses is informed that a given
> > "alternative character" isn't supported by the terminal type, it uses
> > approximations ('|', '-', '+' for box drawing).
>
> Do you mean that ncurses itself uses "|", "-" and "+" when there is no acsc
> or ac in termcap or terminfo? If yes, then I presume that
>
> #define BOXVERT '|'
> #define BOXHORI '-'
>
> are redundant and useless.

With moderately recent ncurses AND a correct termcap/terminfo, yes.
I don't know about old ncurses, other curses, VMS curses, ...

Also if the terminfo is (sometimes) wrong, this can be used as
workaround.  With 'sometimes' wrong I mean the situation I have
with the linux console: It has an acsc entry, and it works, but
not with some consolefonts, and there are legitimate reasons to
change the consolefont at runtime, so it's not useful to construct
a different terminfo file for each state.  So most of the time the
box drawing with the acsc characters works for me, but not after
choosing some different display character set.

If I always wanted to avoid messed-up boxes (if I cared enough)
I could use the #defines above.  I could also change the terminfo
file for "linux", but that would affect other programs, and I
normally don't switch to fonts where the line-drawing characters
don't work in other programs.

   Klaus