lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for Amiga

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for Amiga
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:51:09 -0800

Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 1999, David Woolley (address@hidden) said:

> | The original Tripos was a research operating system written in BCPL.

> FWIW, some of the components of the Amiga OS were actually written
> *in* BCPL ... that would be what is collectively called  "AmigaDOS"
> (the filesys part of the Amiga OS, among other things), IIRC.

Correct -- AmigaDOS is derived from Tripos.  (And that's because the
contractor who was writing CAOS -- Commodore/Amiga Operating System --
bailed out at the last minute and they had to come up with something
quick...)  You can easily tell what's from where, when programming on
the Amiga, because the system call interfaces to the BCPL code are very
different.

> Also, I believe that in the evolution of C, there was something called
> B that was in between BCPL and C (ie, BCPL --> B --> C, though the
> evolution was not a completely 1-to-1 direct kind of relationship).

Yes.

This is astonishingly offtopic; I shall try to restrain myself from the
next reply...