lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:27:10 -0500 (EST)

> Amazingly enough Bela Lubkin said:
> > I doubt this would make any noticable difference, as long as [ug]id's
> > are being cached.  It might also help to use a setpwent(), repeat
> > getpwent() loop to fill that cache, rather than specific getpwuid() for
> > each new ID.  (But that could cost a lot of memory on systems with large
> > /etc/passwd.)

that's effective on systems which read the whole passwd file each time it's
referenced (SunOS and Linux).  not so effective on Solaris.

> How many subdirectories really how files owned by more than a handful of
> different owners?
>
> Mostly /tmp.

right (I use AVL-trees for my directory editor's uid/gid cache for exactly
this reason - on a system with 5000 users it does make a difference)

> So preloading the cache would not gain much in the average case, I would
> think.
it depends on what the average case is.

the only puzzling thing is that LP's reporting slow access times on a
standalone PC with djgpp, too, iirc.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden