lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 17:29:05 -0600 (CST)

Amazingly enough Bela Lubkin said:
> getpwuid() and getgrgid() are slow, on my system, because they open,
> read, and close the appropriate file (/etc/passwd or /etc/group) every
> time.  Maybe other libc implementations cache this information.  If not,
> this might be a good candidate for a little cache inside HTLoadFile().
> It doesn't need to be persistent across calls.

A look at idcache.c from GNU fileutils might also provide a bit of help.

Also, I'm wondering if locality of code might affect this any.

It looks like ls (at least GNU ls) stats all the files, then goes to look
up the owners, whereas lynx gathers up the other info after each stat.
Perhaps rearranging the code might help a bit here as well by improving
locality and letting systems with caches on the CPU's make use of them a
bit more.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all