lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev autoproxy config

From: David Henderson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev autoproxy config
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:50:18 -0500 (CDT)

Sheng-Jih Huang <address@hidden> wrote:
>i am wondering if there is or will be a autoproxy confiration support
>for lynx?
>because our campus network is now enforcing users to use autoproxy
>to comply to the traffic restriction policy made by the goverment.

Lynx doesn't do JavaScript, so it can't do the "autoconfigure proxy"
thing the way Netscape does.  But if you download the autoconfigure
script itself, you can read it to find out what machine:port it wants to
use, and set the "http_proxy" and other environment variables to the
appropriate value.

For example, if your AutoConfig URL is http://config.nctu.edu.tw/
(just a guess), you can go there and get the script.  If you find a
line that like this:

    return "PROXY proxy.nctu.edu.tw:8080";

then you should do one of these, depending on whether your shell is sh-based
(sh, bash, ksh, etc.) or csh-based (csh, tcsh, etc.)

sh:    http_proxy="http://proxy.nctu.edu.tw:8080";; export http_proxy
csh:   setenv http_proxy "http://proxy.nctu.edu.tw:8080";

Of course, this will use the proxy for both local sites and external ones,
but that's currently the only level of granularity Lynx has:  a proxy or
no proxy.

David Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"
<*> davidh at psiphi.org, davidh at imsa.edu, davidh at cyberdesic.com