lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:03:22 +0900 (JST)

> Look, I consider myself a below-average unix hacker. My website is

You're WAY above average.  Even Fote tipped his hat to you, if
you remember.  Keep on "hacking."

> >     The HTML parser presents problems because its use of global
> > variables prevents recursive parsing, which is required for tables,
[...]
> You lost me already... see what I mean?

ditto.

> > overhaul.  That's a lot of work, which no one has done, and no one
> > seems really willing to do.
>
> And how much is such rewrite WORTH to the lynx communinty? I can't

It's "WORTH" a bundle to the lynx communinty, but that's not the
point.  Fote has stated it time and time again; Andrew said it
just the other day.  No amount of money is going to get a programmer
to work on Lynx.  Those kind of programmers are not out of work!
(I know, one of my childhood friends is top class, but with that
repetitive strain symdrome, he's not going to take on a `side job.')
The best work on Lynx because it's fun, challenging, gives you a
charge.  They do it for the same reasons you and I (me still groveling
in the dirt) and all the others hack away at it for.  We love it!

> Example: Red Hat wrote the whole rpm package to make installing
> modules a breeze. It's GNU as far as I know and _everyone_ benefits

And that's why I'm applying what minuscule pressure I can to
get Microsoft interested.  But what if my string pulling did pay
off?  There's the real danger that it could kill Lynx, i.e., Lynx
would become bland, "keine liebe".  Lynx is a labor of love.

> That $50 is still burning a hole in my wallet...

Well, when it burns through, stick it in an envelope and send it
over here.  With the falling yen rate, I could use it!

__Henry