lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 17:28:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Thanh Ma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please try:
>
> www.microsoft.com/hwtest
>
> Click on:
>
> 'hcl-4.0'
> Hardware Category [System/x86 Uniprocessor
> Company Name [Toshiba________________________]
> Platform [x86____]
> Search Now!

You could have done a better job of describin how to get there.
There is no 'hcl-4.0' to "click on", at least not on my screen
when I try to follow your instructions.  Anyway, I will assume you are
referring to <URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/hwtest/hlistnt4.idc?Status=Logo&SearchType=hlistNT4.

idc&LastID=1&LastStatus=Logo&Type=System%2Fx86+Uniprocessor&Vendor=Toshiba&Bus=All&
    Features=All&Platform=X86>.

> Now, where is the search result ? Same result for Dell, Gateway, etc...

Why, it's whereever Microsoft decided to hide it, in a comment that never
ends.  Turn HISTORICAL comment parsing ON.

> This is the same on both lynx2.6FM and lynx-2.7.1
>
> While you are there please check if the Toshiba Satellite notebook model
> 430 series is certified :-)

You can do that yourself.

By the way (not related to comment parsing) that page is a good example of
why I decided not to enable Fote's mods for suppressing numbering of links
that cannot be selected because there is not anchor text.  Without those
numbers shown, there is no indication that the user is missing something
even after he/she has managed to overcome the comment problem.  When the
numbers are shown (of course this requires that "Links are numbered" is
set), there is a hint and the user can then try to follow a link by number
or invoke the LIST screen.

   Klaus

;
;