lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV devel code / fotemods core dumps

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV devel code / fotemods core dumps
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:00:51 -0500 (CDT)

Two people have reported core dumps occuring with the latest devel code.
Hynek Med seems to get them on linux since 2.7.1ac-0.12, in a reliable
manner, Wayne also reported one (I assume it is the same problem).  These
occur only on exit of Lynx, and seem to be dependent on what sites one has
visited and other browsing history.

I thought this was a problem with the devel code, but now I got one also,
running a fotemods binary on solaris.  A gdb `where' on the core file
shows that a HTList_delete() called from LYLynxMaps_free() caused the
exception.

Hynek did a trace of that function and found that the last element
of LynxMaps was corrupted.  A pointer that should have been NULL
(to signal end of the list) was not NULL.  I have tried to reproduce
that, but so far failed.

i looked at LYMap.c long and couldn't see anything wrong there.
Apparently some other module is causing memory corruption.
I have a suspicion that that other module is LYCookie.c (never liked
them...), this is just a hunch based on showing that that is the next
thing in memory as shown by `nm'.  I'm not familiar with the cookie
code, but a look showed two things that seem wrong:

- in LYCookieJar_free, this `if (co)' line seems in the wrong place,
  it seems it will always give FALSE

            while (cl) {
                next = cl->next;
                if (co) {
                    co = cl->object;
                    HTList_removeObject(de->cookie_list, co);

- store_cookie() has the following, this `cookie_list' may never get FREEd
  for the `dump_output_immediately' case.  (But I may be wrong.)

    if (dump_output_immediately) { /* Non-interactive, can't respond */
        if (cookie_list == NULL)
            cookie_list = HTList_new();

I cannot see how these two things could cause memory corruption (instead
of just unFREEd memory).  But there may be other things wrong in that
file.  Could someone more familiar with the cookie code please have
another look at it?

  Klaus

;
;