lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 11:15:52 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, David Combs wrote:

> (Of course, the "lynx enhanced pages" IS a drain, since
> it is looked at each time someone fires up lynx.  I don't
> know what to do about that -- except to tell people
> to use their bookmark file as their "start file".)

Well, the Lynx Enhanced Pages are at NYU not at UKans.  Also, if people
are changing the start page as requested in the lynx.cfg, then it's NOT
the start page.  I think most people are changing it except for some of
the smaller systems.  I guess they will be forced to change it when it
goes away... :(

> One idea there would be to automatically download to the
> user the current enhanced-pages (HORRIBLE NAME), one of
> the entries of which says:
>    Hit here for up-to-date news about lynx
>
> The help files don't change between versions, and so they
> could be also downloaded and used, instead of referring
> to wherever (oops -- maybe they are compiled in?)

The help files are included in the distribution ready for local install,
and the lynx.cfg asks you to use those local versions.  This is one of the
things I actually did both locally (using a personal lynx.cfg compiled
into the personal source) and on my linux drive at home. :)  Again, if
people are doing lynx.cfg correctly, this should be taken care of.  The
biggest problem I've seen along these lines is people who have help files
installed locally, and upgrade the Lynx binary but not the help files...
:(