lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV lynx "image"

From: David Trueman
Subject: LYNX-DEV lynx "image"
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:16:19 -0300

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       As an operator of a large freenet which uses Lynx in the ways
> that guided it's initial design, how bad has the Lynx image become, from
> your perspective, with respect to its needs for system resources?

That depends whether you mean its public image or its system image :-)
The former is very positive -- we keep a lot (>10,000 people) happy on
a very modest system (SPARC 20).  The latter is pretty good most of the time.
The only problem is the dynamic consumption of memory on large (and/or
complex?) documents.  A 20 MB image really impacts a 140 MB machine being
shared with 90 other users.  If I could figure out a way to gracefully
refuse to grow that large, I would do it.

The size of the text is not too important as this is shared among all the
users.

  David Trueman,
    Systems Manager, Dalhousie Math, Stats and Computing Science
    Technical Chair, Chebucto Community Net

;
;