lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Question about DHCP server and 2nd layer delivery

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Question about DHCP server and 2nd layer delivery
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 10:37:52 -0300

There is DHCP server code around, IIRC Axel Lin talked about one on this list. The people from Espressif has one for their ESP chips (they use lwIP...), though I don't know which API they use, as well as I don't either know which one you intend to use. I guess by "2nd layer delivery" you mean sending layer-2 data, Ethernet frames... (or Wi-Fi...) Well, since lwIP understands IP, and the driver to get and send Ethernet frames is your business (though you might be using a vendor port and didn't notice this), you can actually do it. Getting frames back is a bit trickier 'cause you have to know when it is for you and when for lwIP, unless of course you use a non-IP layer-3. There is some code for LLDP around in the list (and/or the repo ?), check it out. However, AFAIK DHCP runs on UDP and you can send UDP broadcasts from within lwIP (although I've never written a DHCP server and I might be missing something important here)