lwip-users

[lwip-users] Question about DHCP server and 2nd layer delivery

From: Xiaomin Lin
Subject: [lwip-users] Question about DHCP server and 2nd layer delivery
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:18:18 +0000

Hi,

My name is Xiaomin Lin, and I am very new to LwIP.

I am writing a DHCP server with LwIP. It seems there is only DHCP client code included in LwIP.

I got some question when writing DHCP server:

1.       Is there already DHCP server related code somewhere in LwIP? Then I don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

2.       DHCP clients in my project also uses LwIP. In LwIP DHCP client code, it set the “broadcast flag” to false. It suppose DHCP server can deliver DHCP offer and DHCP ack back to client via unicast but not broadcast. But that means DHCP server need to have 2nd layer delivery capability.

3.       I want to use 2nd layer delivery to send back DHCP offer and DHCP ack but I found ip.c in LwIP does not really support 2nd layer delivery. Lwip ip.c will reset target MAC address to broadcasting when it finds target IP is IPADDR_ANY or IPADDR_BROADCAST. I believe 2nd layer delivery need to set a preferred MAC with IP address any.

4.       Is there already 2nd layer delivery support in LwIP somewhere, or my understanding of 2nd layer delivery is wrong?

5.       It is not too hard to add 2nd layer delivery support interface in ip.c. If my idea is not wrong, can I contribute to add 2nd layer delivery support in ip.c of LwIP? How?

Thanks!

Best wishes!

Xiaomin Lin

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.