lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Lwip SNMP support: adding LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 Compile-Ti

From: Yigal Hochberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Lwip SNMP support: adding LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 Compile-Time configuration
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:19:01 -0500

Kieran,

Thanks for the reply.

There are two separate parts in the current lwip snmp:

1. snmp agent protocol (BER functions + parsing snmp messages and responding to them).
2. access to ipstack mib-2 information. (how to get mib-2 related information maintined by the ipstack).

Currently LWIP_SNMP contorls all code generated related to (1) and (2).
I would like ot make each part independet, controlled by a spearate compile-time config.

The chnage is the correct design and breakdown. It has nothing to do with the
discussion of open-source or not.

The change is mechanical and should not uase any problem.
If you explain to me the development model adn how to actually
give someone a diff, I can do this work.

Thanks,

Yigal

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 15:07 -0500, Yigal Hochberg wrote:
> My suggestion is to separate between a specific SNMP-Agent and the
> access to Ipstack MIB2 information maintained by the lwip Ipstack.

I'm no expert on SNMP, but I don't quite follow what this change is for.
Can you give some justification for it?  A more comprehensive patch
would help to illustrate what the LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 option would do.  In
the patch fragment you included it's just used in the same way and at
the same time as LWIP_SNMP, so seems to add nothing.

Simon is right that the best way to contribute to lwIP is to improve the
open source distribution of it and help everyone benefit.  However I
understand that this isn't always possible, and lwIP is deliberately
licensed using a BSD license to allow use in commercial and closed
source products.  With that in mind I've got no objection in principal
to a change that makes such integration better and so improves the ways
in which lwIP can be used, but I'd want to understand what was being
proposed before making any such change.

Thanks

Kieran