lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 21:08:58 +0100

The difference of the 9th port is that it can receive traffic from all
ports, configure the switch (i.e. its forwarding database) and send
either to a dedicated port or letting the switch logic select the
destination port.

Just to clarify my point of view: the things we would need to clarify are:
a) how can we detect the RX port when a pbuf is received in lwIP (i.e. on the 9th port) and b) how can we tell the bridge/switch to auto-select (1 or more) target port(s) or send to (one or more) specific port(s)

The rest is an implementation detail of the bridge/switch. Which might be implemented in software or possibly in a real switch IC. I'm not opposed to sharing such a software implementation, but as I said before, I only see the 2 points above as belonging into "core" lwIP. The software implementation of a bridge/switch is "just another netif driver"...

Simon