lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:15:13 +0100

Hi Joel,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 09:02:05AM -0600, Joel Cunningham wrote:

> Agree that the bulk of the bridge implementation would probably be
> some kind of virtual netif, but the one piece that I need to
> think/learn more about is how ARPing for the bridge’s IP address works
> because there is a different hardware address for each interface

They are not really used. An Ethernet switch (a bridge) doesn't have a
mac address per se, or only one for its administrative interface over a
virtual IP interface. Some bridge implementation use either a randomly
generated one or the one of the first added interface.

It means we need a layer 2 router implementation (an Ethernet switch)
below everything else with virtual Ethernet interface support if we want
more than just a bridge.

Sylvain