lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:00:06 +0000

Alain M. wrote:

> Micael (abc) escreveu:
>>I guess I'll be heading back to Interniche if that is
>> the case.
>> Well, I guess better hearing this now, than later, so thanks for that
>> insight!
>
> Don't over-react!!!

>From the tone he's just being sarcastic :-).

> I believe that what he is saying is compatibility
> with *existing* applications. Lwip seems to have sockets that are
> veeeery compatible, just not 100% to the point of taking an old
> application and making it run with zero patch...

Yes I was referring to existing applications and existing code, although
that doesn't affect my view on using it for brand new code. But yes, an
existing sockets application may not be able to run completely unmodified -
think of all the various setsockopt()s and ioctl()s that have a habit of
cropping up on other systems, or for that matter, the header file includes,
which aren't (and couldn't sensibly be) POSIX_compliant.

Anyway, it's all just an opinion.

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine