lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"

From: Piero 74
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:34:29 +0100

2009/1/9 Jonathan Larmour <address@hidden>
Piero 74 wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I proposed a discussion... a brain storming about new socket
> implementation for the future (fast and more compliance to bsd socket)
> We could start to gather ideas here and create a working group...
>
> Starting with an old email from Simon:

Some work was even started on it. It's in task 6994, however that is a
private task. I'll leave it to Simon/Frederic to decide if they want to
open it up - the reason it was private was so that people didn't try to
start using something that was in its very early stages.

On the other hand, rather than more compliance to BSD sockets, there was
discussion in that task (reflected in the sketched out implementation) that
it would be ok to move further away from BSD/POSIX socket API compliance,
which wasn't something I was keen on personally. But that was a discussion
point in the task. The general idea of implementing sockets directly over
the raw API is good though.

J,
I have a doubt...
socket above netconn permits to have THREAD-SAFE socket...
If socket2 will be implemented over raw API, will are thread-safe yet? Or, we could not use socket2 in multithread system (lwip+rtos)?

Doing some performance test, i saw some time consuming calling recv function, i suppose for netconn call (which has to send a msg to lwip_thread and wait callback..)
So, socket2 could be realy very fast??

Bye
Piero

Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> My preference would be to implement normal socket functions and fast
> functions that resemble the netconn API advantages so that we would only
> have to maintain 2 APIs in the far future.

That seems a good approach to me.

Jifl
--
eCosCentric Limited      http://www.eCosCentric.com/     The eCos experts
Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge, UK.       Tel: +44 1223 245571