Re: [Ltib] how to get putenv from glibc compiled?

From: Lambrecht Jürgen
Subject: Re: [Ltib] how to get putenv from glibc compiled?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:22:40 +0200

On 10/08/2011 12:29 PM, Stuart Hughes wrote:

> Hi Jürgen,
>
> I'm not sure I understand this question?
>
> putenv is supported by glibc, you'd need to call this library functions
> from a C program.

Indeed. My C program is the busybox dhcpc (dhcp client).
It puts amongst others the NTP server IP adress in an environment
variable with 'putenv'.
I first thought it failed because this library function is not present
as program in linux - I was wrong.

The reason it does not work is explained here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6981033/why-setenv-does-not-work. (In
short: "Your program is started */by*/ the shell, so the shell got to
set its copy of the environment variables, but there is no way for it to
push a change back to the shell")

Solution: start the ntp client in the same shell as the dhcp client runs
in. This is made possible in busybox dhcpc by specifying a script in the
menu config of busybox. In that script, you need to add a line to start
the ntp client.
(See busybox mailing list)

> If you want to set en environment variable you should be able to do this
> from the she with
>
> SOMEVAR=xxx
> export SOMEVAR

Indeed.