Re: [Ltib] How to use LTIB w/o root?

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] How to use LTIB w/o root?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:53:30 +0100

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 04:08:42PM +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:
Grant Edwards wrote:
On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:05:26AM +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:

I need to correct a misunderstanding.  LTIB needs you to setup
sudo root access for rpm (to build an NFS mountable area with
the devices, owners, permissions etc).  However you are only
ever running as root during the install phase of rpm building.
Yes, I'm aware of that.

Not only that, but there are many checks to make sure that
ltib cannot write outside your project area.  Does that
reassure you or do you still have concerns?
[snip]
It's a compromise. On those system IIRC you can only build a RAMdisk/JFFS image and so you don't have to be root as genext2fs/mkfs.jffs2 doesn't need root access to make the image. The downside though is you can't incrementally deploy while NFS mounted, which I find a big productivity boost (./ltib -p strace for example).

Maybe LTIB could be modified to run in 2 different modes.  One mode that
just produces the RAMdisk/JFFS image and doesn't require root access.
The other mode runs as root to allow NFS deployment(the current mode).

That would be possible, but it's not a high priority (no problem has occurred and reasonable steps are taken). This would not be a small change as the interface area is still needed in order to build packages as you move up the package list.

Note that on popular distros like Ubuntu a normal user is
automatically enabled to run any command as 'sudo root' and
that seems to be universally accepted.
Without a password?
Yes, xandros (eee pc) IIRC. Maybe Ubuntu (I can't recall). But in any case if you allow a user root access (even with a password) a simple slip at the command line will wipe out your disk.

Ubuntu by default allows normal users to have sudo access to everything
but requires the user to type in their password when using sudo.

See the point below, having to type in your user password doesn't protect you from a slip on the command line:

2/ Accidental destruction, e.g. 'sudo rm -rf * /' (I
accidentally hit a space),

Regards Stuart