Re: [Ltib] How to use LTIB w/o root?

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] How to use LTIB w/o root?
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:05:26 +0100

Hi Grant,

I need to correct a misunderstanding. LTIB needs you to setup sudo root access for rpm (to build an NFS mountable area with the devices, owners, permissions etc). However you are only ever running as root during the install phase of rpm building. Not only that, but there are many checks to make sure that ltib cannot write outside your project area. Does that reassure you or do you still have concerns?

Note that on popular distros like Ubuntu a normal user is automatically enabled to run any command as 'sudo root' and that seems to be universally accepted. From my point of view there are 2 security issues running as root:

1/ Malicious access by unauthorised users. I discount this because whether you're root or not if you have physical access to a machine, you can pull disks out or simply reboot with 'init=/bin/sh' and do what you want anyway.

2/ Accidental destruction, e.g. 'sudo rm -rf * /' (I accidentally hit a space), or a program malfunctions. In the case of LTIB, there have so far never been any reports of accidental deleting of files outside the project area. I thought about this carefully and there are extensive safeguards in LTIB. The code is there for you to check if you like.

I am behind bitshrine.org. It was setup to provide bulk storage as I don't think the Savannah project (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/ltib) would be the right place to stage the 12GB of download area. Why are you paranoid what do you fear?. LTIB is a completely open project.

Regards, Stuart