Re: [Ltib] Kernel 2.6.27 and MPC8313ERDB_revb

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Kernel 2.6.27 and MPC8313ERDB_revb
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:07:57 +0100

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 15:20 +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 10:05 -0400, Mark Bishop wrote:
> > A few newbie questions:
> >
> > I have the linux-2.6.27 src but I am assuming I need a
> > linux-2.6.27-mpc8313erdb_revb.spec file.  Who creates these, when it
> > will be created?
> >

> Not necessarily.  If the vanilla kernel.org (or maybe a paulus tree)
> kernel supports the platform you want then you can create a new spec
> file called say kernel-2.6.27.spec.in and update it (you could use
> kernel-2.6.20.spec.in as a template).
>
> The key is you need also to have (or know from the configs directory) a
> kernel configuration that will work for your platform.
>
> Note also that you can also do kernel directory builds (it's an option
> under most kernel selection choice lists in ./ltib -m config).  In this
> case point you need to simply specify the directory which contains your
> kernel source tree.  You still need to know the name (or have) a kernel
> config that you want to use.
>
> > I am new to this ltib thing.  I used to do embedded linux 10 years ago
> > before these tools and it appears this is a steep learning curve.  And
> > if someone wants to know what I am trying to do in case my quesitons
> > suck - I am trying to upgrade the kernel on my MPC8313ERDB_revB to the
> > latest.  I'm not sure of the procedure using ltib, but I have rolled
> > my own kernel for years (1.2.13) on x86.
> >

> Is there a particular reason that you can't use the current
> kernel-2.6.23-mpc8313erdb_revb available from Freescale? (what new
> features do you need)?
>
> It maybe that the kernel for this platform is already available in
> mainline (or something better to start your work with).  I'll ask some
> people I know and get back to you with an update.

Hi Mark,

I just checked with some kernel developers at FSL and they said:

kernel.org v2.6.27 has MPC8313eRDB support.

Hope this saves you some effort.  You should be able to simply download
the tarball from kernel.org, put it into /opt/ltib/pkgs and then make a
spec file (say based on kernel-2.6.20.spec.in) to reference it.  You
need to use arch/powerpc/configs/83xx/mpc8313_rdb_defconfig.  The
easiest thing to do is to copy out that file and to put it into
config/platform/mpc8313.... and then reference mpc8313_rdb_defconfig
when you run ./ltib -m config.

Regards, Stuart