[Ltib] When generating kernel patch, ARCH not correctly specified

From: Robert Foerster
Subject: [Ltib] When generating kernel patch, ARCH not correctly specified
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:51:06 -0400

Hi
When generating a patch via patchmerge, the ltib script runs a 'make distclean'. A blind 'make distclean' doesn't seem to properly clean the kernel. The top level Makefile in the kernel source calls 'uname -m' to determine the target architecture if ARCH isn't present as an environment variable or passed into the make invocation. As a result, generated symlinks and headers for the real architecture aren't being
cleaned properly.

For example, I'm building an arm target, and generated files in linux/arch/arm and
linux/includes/asm-arm aren't being removed.  Running 'make -p -d distclean'
(under the ltib shell) confirms that the makefile is choosing my host PC arch instead
of my target arch.

Has anybody seen this same behavior, and/or is there a known workaround?  I can
manually do 'make ARCH=arm clean' before I run patchmerge, but this is not ideal.

Thanks,
Bob