Re: [Ltib] Multi-user LTIB

From: Peter Barada
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Multi-user LTIB
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:42:11 -0500

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 14:31 -0500, Ken Gilmer wrote:
> Hello :)
>
>    We use LTIB extensively and it is working well for us.  Once pain
> point we have is that we have one build machine that is rather
> expensive/fast that multiple users are building on.  AFAIK LTIB
> stores some state in machine-global locations (such as /opt/
> freescale).  While we haven't been burned yet I'd sleep easier at
> night if all state for ltib was kept inside it's install directory,
> insuring that two different users didn't clobber each other.  I've
> played around with variables in the script but my modifications cause
> LTIB to break.  Is there a recommended approach or strategy to safely
> keeping LTIB instances isolated on a given machine?

I've gone through this with multi-users developing in LTIB before with
little trouble.  since the only thing kept in /opt/freescale/packages
are the tarballs and patches, the spec files that are modified with
"./ltib -p <pkg> -m patchmerge" are within the user's install area,
leaving the only potential problem being if two people do a patchmerge
to the same package at the exact same second (causing the same patch
file to be created for each person's changes).  That is a remote chance,
especially if you have people working on different packages.

All of the configuration information (.lkc, .config, .spec, etc) files
are kept in the install directory which is unique to each developer.

Merging those together can be done by hand, kinda a hassle, but
definitely doable.

I don't know of how to keep any modifications to /opt/freescale/pkgs
local to a given user/installation directory.

--
Peter Barada <address@hidden>