[Ltib] Re: How to add extra config entries with ltib

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: [Ltib] Re: How to add extra config entries with ltib
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:01:19 +0100

Hi Mark,

If you do: $ ./ltib -m scbuild -p kernel -c

That will put you into the kernel configuration system.  You can make
any changes there, when you exit the kernel will build.  These changes
will persist.

The way the kernel config stuff works in LTIB is that during LTIB config
time, a kernel config is selected by: CONFIG_PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG (see
config/platform/<target>/.config), lets assume in your case it is called
this: 'nas_linux-2.6.13.4-mpc8349itx.config'

When the kernel is built, if the configuration is changed, the
new .config is copied back to the same place, but with the extension
'.dev', so in this case: nas_linux-2.6.13.4-mpc8349itx.config.dev

Now, if you configure/build the kernel, this version (xxx.dev) is used
as the starting point for the kernel .config file.  If you make changes,
it simply overwrites the xxx.dev file that was used to see the .config.

The idea of this is that from an original 'known good' .config file, you
can build up your own new config file.  When you're done, you can either
overwrite the original (non .dev version), or you can move it to a new
name and make it available as an alternate selection in the LTIB config
system.

Directly writing into the .config file in rpm/BUILD/linux will not work
as it gets overwritten by the selected kernel.config.

However, adding your changes into
nas_linux-2.6.13.4-mpc8349itx.config.dev should normally work, but it's
possible that the configuration node you tried to set had other
dependencies that when evaluated turned off the config point you wanted
to set.

In general I'd recommend using:
$ ./ltib -m scbuild -p kernel -c

as you won't need to know any selection dependencies and you can
immediately get visual confirmation of your settings.

Regards, Stuart