lout-users

Re: pdf - and on Windows?

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: pdf - and on Windows?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:08:27 +0800

James Mansion wrote:
[snip]
Is lout's postscript focus going to be a hindrance for day to day use? I'd rather not cough for the full Adobe product until I know I'll actually make it as far as publishing something, rather than fantasizing about doing so, but if I'm going to give it much of a try I'll want something that produces good looking pdfs. I've not been.very impressed by ghostscript as a back end to TeX - I'm hoping to use something that embeds fonts as needed.

Speaking as a off-and-on user of Lout... Can you be more specific about "not been.very impressed by ghostscript"? It used to be that the TeX DVI -> PS -> PDF toolchain produces Type 3 fonts which are rendered bitmaps from the Metafont stroked originals. That looked horrible and rendered slowly. But AFAIK, nobody ever generates a document with Type 3 fonts anymore. With pdfTeX, as with Lout, everybody is using stroked fonts, usually the standard Adobe set or embedded Type 42 fonts. I am under the impression that Ghostscript works well these days.

Can anyone recommend what I should install to give lout a fair showing?

Not sure what you mean, but often we point people to the User's Guide as an example of what Lout can produce. You can get them here: http://lout.wiki.sourceforge.net/Documentation

I don't mind something that watermarks pages in a demo version so long as the
previews in Acrobat Reader on screen look good.

No Free Software forces any watermarks on the user... I guess maybe you are discussing a Distiller demo.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)