lout-users

Re: pdf - and on Windows?

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: pdf - and on Windows?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:07:28 +0800

James Mansion wrote:
KHMan wrote:
Speaking as a off-and-on user of Lout... Can you be more specific about "not been.very impressed by ghostscript"? It used to be that the TeX DVI -> PS -> PDF toolchain produces Type 3 fonts which are rendered bitmaps from the Metafont stroked originals. That looked horrible and rendered slowly.
Quite.
With pdfTeX, as with Lout, everybody is using stroked fonts
pdfTeX I've found fine, but that doesn't use ghostscript does it?

No it outputs directly to PDF, it uses its own internal PDF backend, but for Lout, when you specify fonts, and you stick to Type 1 or Type 42 (TrueType/OpenType) fonts, then you will always end up with the exact stroked fonts that you specified.

Ghostscript sort of flattens the PostScript output from Lout into PDF, and a lot of PDF is really a limited subset of PostScript which renders fast. This is a well-known process that does not involve deep magic, so there is no loss of quality between PS -> PDF. Vector graphics and vector fonts remain the same.

I am under the impression that Ghostscript works well these days.
That's encouraging.

If there are specific issues with Ghostscript in the past that are niggling you, perhaps it can be discussed here on the list. The Type 3 bitmap isn't a Ghostscript problem but a DVI -> PS problem, I believe. Conversion from PS -> PDF is pretty straightforward and involves no loss of document quality.

So it is not really practical for Lout to duplicate the whole PS -> PDF thingy when Ghostscript is such a mature application that is well-tested. Besides, conversion to PDF is usually an extra line in an automatic build file, so it's not too intrusive.

Not sure what you mean, but often we point people to the User's Guide as an example of what Lout can produce. You can get them here: http://lout.wiki.sourceforge.net/Documentation
I'm aware lout itself is fine, but I need a convenient complete toolchain reall, and I'd rather not have to run on *nix all the time, out of habit as much as anything.

Oh sorry, I mean that you can look at the PDF of the User's Guide and see if the quality and capabilities is acceptable to you or otherwise. The PDFs that we (the wiki maintainers) put up are processed using Ghostscript.

No Free Software forces any watermarks on the user... I guess maybe you are discussing a Distiller demo.
Well, or other pdf generators. I'm not concerned about using Free Software per se, and will spend money once I'm sure the project is workable.

Ghostscript is widely used and I think it's pretty mature, so I think many of us Ghostscript users will try to convince you that you don't really need a commercial Distiller, but it's your call. :-) What's more important is whether the capabilities matches your requirements. Some things, like PDF bookmarks and PDF document properties, need a bit of additional work. If you know a scripting language, then you can do more things, like what Mark Summerfield does.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)