lout-users

Re: too small inter-word spacing

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: too small inter-word spacing
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:28:34 +0200

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:23:48PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> On 4-Sep-08, at 7:31 PM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> >>I don't know.  It does sound strange.  If you think it's worth
> >>following up, post a small example and I'll look into it.
> >
> >I tried it with arbitrary text snippets. here it happens every time if
> >the output is viewed with `gv'.
>
> GhostView almost always produces horrible inter-word and even inter-
> letter spacing for me (at least on X11 displays), at least for lout
> _and_ groff output but perhaps other generators too, and usually
> regardless of which font faces or sizes are used (though some are far
> worse than others).

I can't confirm this, neither for lout _nor_ for groff (gv's behaviour
sure should not depend on the formatter if both produce valid postscript):
if you enable the antialiasing and gv know's the font (that might be important:
I believe
otherwise some fontmapping occurs which might indeed mess the appearance up) --
which definitely is the case for me, since palatino is one of the few
"canonical"
fonts available everywhere (or,rather, an exact substitute), if this is the
case,
than the display is flawless (concordant with printed output) for me.

and I checked, of course, after conversion to pdf with two pdf-viewers (xpdf
and apple's `Preview'),
too. both show the same (although apple's pdf engine in fact _does_ have
problems with
correct rendering in certain situations: well known bug, by the way). _and_ I
printed
it. same story again. so my observations are real (jeff confirmed the first of
these by the way).

I think the point is whether this behaviour is typographically OK (or even
desirable). I think it's
not, but there jeff seems to disagree. my most recent observation in this