lout-users

Re: Table cell becomes 'too wide' when using indent { right }

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: Table cell becomes 'too wide' when using indent { right }
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:30:07 +0100

On 2008-09-03, Clint Olsen wrote:
> On Sep 03, Jeff Kingston wrote:
> > My first suggestion is:  post a small example!
>
> I hope this fragment is enough to demonstrate what I was trying to do:
>
> @Tbl strut { no } marginvertical { 0.3v } aformat { @Cell A | @Cell width {
> expand } indent { 0.5i } B } { @Rowa
>        A {
>            @B Experience
>        }
>        B {
>            @Tbl width { expand } strut { no }
>                aformat { @Cell @I A | @Cell indent { right } @BI B | @Cell
> indent { right } @I C } { @Rowa
>                    A { 2006-Present } B { Jiffypop Corporation } C { New
> York, NY } }
>        @LLP
>        @B { Basket Weaver } @LLP
>        Blah blah blah...
>        @DP
>    }
> }
>
> Before it was just throwing out New York, NY.
>
> Unfortunately, this case works now, and I have no idea why.  I hate it when
> that happens.  I even tried right justifying cell B and it still tossed it.
> Perhaps it was the strut.  I'll have to try some things to see if I can
> make it do it again.

Sometimes if you do something wrong in lout the error gets propagated
into the temporary files lout used (e.g., the *.ld* files) and seems to
stay there even after the error is fixed. So when experimenting it is
best to delete these files after each run (or avoid them, I think
there's a command line option for that). I still get caught out on this
from time to time though:-)

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy