lout-users

Re: AFM files

From: Paul K. Efremov
Subject: Re: AFM files
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:53:52 +0400

On Wed 2001-07-18 15:30:56 +0200, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:

> >>     I've considered extracting the AFM from my printer directly.
> >I don't know how this could be done.  Of course you can derive metrics
> >from Type 1 fonts, but an AFM file contains more information.
>
>     I think about PSUtils. They come with a resource extractor which
> may be useful for this task. Anyway I have a list of the printer
> commands (PS, PCL and PJL) which can be useful too.

Yes, psutils includes getafm. It generates a program which
"prints an AFM file for a font to the printer's output channel"
(from man getafm). List of printer commands won't help unless you
want to write such a program yourself ;-)

There is also printafm.ps shipped with Ghostscript, but it only works
with Ghostscript itself (uses non-standard operators). This can be
used if you have Type1 files on disk, but don't have AFMs with them.

Of course both of them do not preserve kerning pairs, as noted in BUGS
section of getafm manual.

--
Paul K. Efremov, Lipetsk, Russia   /    Clever man won't climb a mound,
http://pke.chat.ru                /   clever man will walk around!