lout-users

Re: How to put attachments at end of an ordinary document

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: How to put attachments at end of an ordinary document
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:08:47 +0300

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:30:21 -0700, Kyle wrote:

> > >     {lines} @Break
> > >
> > >     4,24: fatal error: missing @Break symbol or option

Line 4 - doh!

> > Something  like
> >
> >     { lines 1.2vx nohyphen } @Break

[...]

> Yet, if I comment out the second block (the last 5 lines) the error
> goes away.

Ah, now I see.  Your two top-level objects are actually a paragraph,
since the whitespace between them is an implicit &-concatenation
operator and Lout complains that it doesn't have enough information
about paragraph breaking style for that paragraph.

When you group "hello" and "there", the first @Break applies and Lout
is happy (and you don't need all that style information for "there" as
well).

I don't have 3.17 around, but 3.20 doesn't give me this error for your
original test.

> My interpretation of this was that lout would only parse a single
> object at the explicit level.

Well, yes and no.  Concatenation of objects is an object, so in a
sense, yes - Lout will only parse a single object.  But I don't think
you had this literal interpretation in mind.

That top-level object may be an arbitrary concatenation.  Try || or //
between "hello" and "there".  Note that for // you will get two pages.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

SY, Uwe