lout-users

Adding fonts (Was: hp4000 printers)

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Adding fonts (Was: hp4000 printers)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:25:01 +0300

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 01:28:53PM -1000, Robert Valliant wrote:

> When adding my own fonts from the Bitstream 500 CD.  I assume I just
> put them in a directory where the X server can find them and then
> update the fontdefs file.  Is that correct?

To add a new font you:

1.  Arrange for Lout to be able to find the AFM file for the new font.
    E.g. put it into the `$LOUTLIB/font' or specify the directory with
    -F<dir> option.  AFM is the only thing Lout needs or cares about.

    Add a fontdef statement somewhere.  E.g. you could append fontdefs
    for new fonts to the `include/fontdefs' file, or create a new file
    for site fonts and include it in your setup file.  Another good
    place is `mydefs.lt'

    Lout will put appropriate %%IncludeResource DSC comments in its
    PostScript output so that your spooler can process it.

2.  Arrange for your PostScript environment to be able to find the
    font.  This is highly system dependent.  That's why DSC exists.
    Lout produces strictly DSC conforming output (well, almost; see
    file `notes.dsc' in the Lout distribution).

    For GhostScript you put the font somewhere where GS can find it
    (GS_LIB_DEFAULT compilation parameter, $GS_LIB environment
    variable and -I option), and add an entry or the font to the
    Fontmap file.

    Or you can configure your spooler to perform resource inclusion.
    If you use `includeres' from PSUtils then make a symlink to the
    font PFA file in the directory where `includeres' looks for
    resources The name of the link should be exactly the font name
    without any suffixes.

SY, Uwe