lmi

Re: [lmi] First version of the illustrations pagination patch

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] First version of the illustrations pagination patch
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:51:09 +0000

On 2018-07-14 11:12, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  BTW, speaking about testing, I've found that my changes fixing restoring
> maximized window position had broken IsMaximized() behaviour in some cases.
> I've fixed it back, but the fix is not included in the commit upgrading
> wxWidgets included in this PR. I don't think this particular problem
> affects lmi, but it could be still better to update to the latest wxWidgets
> master with these fixes (and perhaps also those from
> https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/854).

In the short term:
 - I have to make some changes to our current release candidate because
   lmi input files provided by external vendors don't conform to our
   specifications as well as I thought they did; and
 - you already said you're pretty much unavailable until next Friday,
so I won't push any of the pagination changes before then. (I still hope
to test them locally, but I just won't push them for at least a week so
that we can keep git history linear and prepare the upcoming release
from HEAD without any library upgrades.)

Then, in about a week, the release should be all set, and we can upgrade
libraries...

> I'd have to rebuild it
> with MinGW 7 (to check that it doesn't break anything right now) and 8 (as
> I hope we'll upgrade to it relatively soon) if we want to do it -- please
> let me know if I should.

...and perhaps jump to a later wxWidgets version at that time. But we
don't need to make that decision today, and it's possible that other wx
regressions will be discovered in the coming week. I imagine I should
first commit and push PR 86 in full in any case, as upgrading wx again
is just a forty-character change on one makefile line. Thus, I don't
see any need to test today's wx HEAD with MinGW-w64 g++-7 immediately.

I'm not eager to upgrade MinGW-w64 to a later version than debian
provides. Today, both "buster" and "sid" are still at g++-7.3.0-18+20.3,
so using g++-8 would require changes in my build system (to get native
binaries--which might run slower anyway) and would entail some risk
(I see problem reports with MinGW-w64 releases on the cygwin mailing
list, e.g., so I suppose debian shields us from some instability).