lmi

Re: [lmi] Dataview vs. listview appearance

From: Václav Slavík
Subject: Re: [lmi] Dataview vs. listview appearance
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:33:59 +0200

Hi,

On 16 Jul 2011, at 21:02, Václav Slavík wrote:
>> One more thing: the left- and right-arrow keys, alone or in combination
>> with Ctrl, used to shift the screen horizontally, but no longer do. But
>> perhaps that's just because they're ultimately going to move a "cursor"
>> across rows in the wxDataViewCtrl (somewhat as in a spreadsheet)?
>
> It wasn't intentional, it's probably just one of the little things that
> native listview does that aren't emulated by the generic wxDVC yet. I'll have
> a look at it.

I was able to implement this behavior, but after talking with Vadim about it,
I'm no longer sure that it's good idea to do it. In both XP's and Windows 7's
Explorer, Ctrl+arrows shortcuts are used to move focus without moving selection
in the list view (View->Details). In XP, this is limited to the horizontal
axis, but in Windows 7's Explorer, left and right arrows move focus to another
column and Ctrl+left/right behave identically to Ctrl-less version.

As a noteworthy consequence, pressing Ctrl+right scrolls the view vertically so
that the now-focused column is visible. I think that's much more useful than
current LMI behavior of scrolling by one scroll page (which doesn't match
actual column sizes). So I propose to implement just that in wxDVC together
with the rest of keyboard navigation.

What do you think?

Vaclav