lmi

Re: [lmi] the rest of MSVC compilation patch

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] the rest of MSVC compilation patch
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:39:06 +0000

On 2008-08-22 12:44Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 14:31 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>> GC> The compiler we use in production, MinGW gcc, doesn't support
>> GC> std::wstring, BTW.
>>
>>  Hmm, does it just fail to define wstring typedef or does it have real
>> problems with instantiating std::basic_string<wchar>?
>
> I think it does have it in the 3.4 version used by LMI: my
> cross-compiler definitely has it (just checked) and wxWidgets' defs.h
> makes the assumption wstring is available in MinGW >= 3.3 too.

I haven't tried using it myself, but this is frequently asked on the
MinGW mailing list, and the answer always seems to be negative.

Perhaps I'm confusing std::wstring with std::wiostream :

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/18182/

| wide IO streams are not supported because configure does not find
| sufficient locale support.

Or perhaps not:

http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/wide%20characters

| If you try to use things like std::wcout or basic_string<wchar_t>
| then you will probably get compiler or linker errors.

Maybe the MinGW issues will be resolved by the time they actually
matter to us (e.g., when wx-3.0 is released); I don't think we need
to take much more action now, though I plan to apply Vadim's concrete
suggestions (in another message--e.g., LoadLibraryA()) soon.