lmi

Re: [lmi] synchronizing wx and lmi for production

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] synchronizing wx and lmi for production
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:59:48 +0000

On 2005-8-16 10:20 UTC, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:10:31 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php
> GC> | You may not place any GIF files on a site hosted here.
> GC>
> GC> There may be other issues, but that one's conclusive from FSF's POV.
>
>  Oh. But all is not lost: the GIF are mostly used for docs and include and
> src branches which we need don't contain them. So we could still put a
> smaller archive on Savannah, couldn't we?

I think that would be (1) difficult and (2) unnecessary:

(1) difficult because FSF is strict about licensing issues, and
I'd want to make absolutely certain we adhere to their way of
doing things (which might mean removing not only '.gif' files
but also any code that reads them, and maybe other parts of wx),
but I think this would amount to manually maintaining a wx fork;

(2) unnecessary because Wendy really has two problems to solve:

(a) use the latest wx release that's known to work, which is
what we'll want for production releases of lmi--but wx releases
are already readily available;

(b) use wx cvs HEAD to test features you've added for us--but
the current nightly snapshot already meets that need.

We were discussing a hybrid approach:

(c) use HEAD as of the latest date we had tested it with lmi.
I talked about that with Wendy today: it doesn't meet need (b),
and, as for (a), we're reluctant to use it for production
releases of lmi at this time. First we need to get (a) and (b)
automated; later we can reconsider (c) if there's a critical
new wx feature we really want to release in lmi before it
becomes part of a wx release.