liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] random map generator

From: Redick David A
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] random map generator
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:08:34 -0500

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 11:19:49AM +0100, Christian Mauduit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Currently its "pre-alpha" but it can create playable maps.
> > All be it, rather boring ones.  Just random rectangles =]

currently it can 9 different types of maps and is getting close
to "beta" quality.

> Now to be honest I'd really like to include your map generator *in* the
> game so that people can click on "random map" and get one.
>
> My idea would be to stick a button right in the middle of the "map menu"
> that reads "Generate a random map" on it and another "Random map
> options" button that would lead the player to another menu where one can
> tune your generator.

that was my idea too.. I figure a system("lwmapgen"); or something like
that would be fine...

> > Compile it and play with it.  Let me know what you think.
> I haven't tried all the options yet, will try to find some time to
> really test all of them.

tomorrow I'll hack out a webpage and put example maps up.
it will be www.cs.clemson.edu/~dredick/lwmapgen/

> BTW, you might be interested by a direct CVS access to LW source code on
> Savannah. Contact me if you're insterested.

I don't think I need it right now...

> OK, now what I'll do is concretely try to make a 5.6.0 or 5.5.9 release
> (depends on how much I put in it) which will include the Danish
> translation, the association of maps with textures (already done) and
> possibly a basic wrapper for the map generator.

If you need me to clean up the interface, just yell.
Also the map format changing for 5.6.0, right?
So do I need to change my output?

--
David Redick                       address@hidden
Home                               www.cs.clemson.edu/~dredick